From the McGahey website: Nothing, not even the savage blitz on Exeter in May 1942, has been able to stop our continuos service to the smoking public in the South West. Our family business was established in 1880 - since that date there have been three generations of McGaheys at the helm. Edgar McGahey saw the tobbaconist shop through the war years- relocation in a garden shed at the bottom of his garden in Barnfield Road. The business returned to High Street almost on the same site as the former shop in 1955, the year in which Edgar McGahey died. Michael, who had been in business since 1942, steered the business through the next period of it's history. Whilst 245 High Street remained true to it's policy of specialisation the company expanded into prominently placed kiosks in London Inn Square, Princesshay and Heavitree.
In 1973 Martin joined the firm and father and son continued the traditions. In Marchv1988 we carried out a complete refit of 245 High Street - striking a balance between a conventional image and modern shop fitting technique. In 1992 we were the only independent retailer in High Street. Michael retired in February 1992. 1996 was a year of great change due to our landlord's redevelopment plans. We had to leave the site for a few months and move to Princesshay. After completion of the work we moved back to the same site but on a corner location.
As specialists we stock a complete tobacconist in range of most of the well known names in pipes and carry the largest selection of lighters in the South West. Cigarettes, Tobaccos, Cigars and Snuff displayed in profusion with every makers name one can think of, and in the unlikely event of a customer requiring something not in stock - this can quickly be obtained. We have a complete repair service for lighters and pipes and will always be pleased to quote. We hope we can be of service.