Dirck GoedeWaagen became a master pipemaker on January 1, 1779 and took on his first assistant the following month. Soon after Dirck's grandson fell in love with and married a girl from the illustrious De Jong family, legendary in the ceramic pipemakers guild in Gouda. He built a workshop in the Keizerstraat in Gouda, which continued for two generations until his grandson Abraham GoedeWaagen moved the company to a new location.
In 1853, Pieter Goedewaagen purchased his father-in-law's factory "De Star", which becomes the basis of the modern GoedeWaagen company. In approximately 1880, Abraham's grandson Aart GoedeWaagen persuaded his father Pieter to expand the business with an eye towards more models of pipes, and P. GoedeWaagen & Sons was founded in response. Within ten years the firm had hundreds of models and P. GoedeWaagen & Son was exporting pipes around the globe.
GoedeWaagen continued to make pipes, but also began acquiring other ceramics firms, including "De Distel" in 1923, and in so doing acquiring the expertise to make decorated ceramics other than clay pipes. It is at this time that the company is granted a Royal charter and by the 1930's Royal Goedewaagen is one of the top names in dutch ceramics.
While Goedewaagen pipes were originally traditional and figural clays, after the invention of the double walled clay pipe by Zenith, also a Gouda company, Goedewaagen began producing pipes in that commonly seen style, which they marketed as "The Baronite Pipe", advertised for its clean smoking and health benefits. Since the company's bankruptcy in 1982, however, they have made only the occasional souvenir pipe, including a line commemorating Holland's monarchs.