Difference between revisions of "Briarcraft"

From Pipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 43: Line 43:
 
File:1940 Ad.jpg|From a 1940 Belknap Hardware & Manufacturing Co. Catalog showing Shur-Dri with Briarcraft inc.
 
File:1940 Ad.jpg|From a 1940 Belknap Hardware & Manufacturing Co. Catalog showing Shur-Dri with Briarcraft inc.
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
 +
 +
They also manufactured Tuffies pipes, as seen by the following store display board for use in the Waller Specialty Co. store, in Minot, ND (closed in 1948).
 +
<gallery widths=182 heights=598>
 +
File:TuffiesStoreDisplay.jpg
 +
</gallery>
 +
  
 
[[Category: Pipe makers by nationality]][[Category: United States]]
 
[[Category: Pipe makers by nationality]][[Category: United States]]

Revision as of 12:35, 27 February 2022

Courtesy Doug Valitchka
Add for L.L. Bean, including a pouch, and what is likely a Braircraft second, courtesy Doug Valitchka

Richard Kliethermes Sr. was the founder of Briarcraft. First located on Pipetown Hill Rd, Spring Valley, NY., it moved later to 66 Central Ave., Spring Valley, NY. After the death of RK Sr., business was run by Richard Kliethermes Jr. († 1943) and was quite prosperous between 1920 and 1940. The company closed in 1950.

Briarcraft Pipe Company was very prosperous between 1920 and 1940 and usually feature a diamond shield logo. They also produced a line of seconds under the following names: Airo, Arcadian, Briarmeer, Smokemaster, Cavalcade, Hallmark, Sterling Hall, and Wimbledon. They closed their doors in 1950.

Briarcraft was started by Richard Kliethermes Sr. and located on Pipetown Hill Rd, Spring Valley, NY. It received its power from a dam on Hyenga Lake, later it moved to 66 Central Ave., Spring Valley, NY. At first it was housed in a 2 story frame building and later a 2 story stone building was added. Upon the death of RK Sr., business was run by Richard Jr, between 1920 and 1940 it was second in size to Frank Medico pipes. All the briar root was imported from Africa, with the start of WWII, imports stopped and a briar like root was imported from S. Carolina. Richard Kliethermes Jr. was the inventor of a pipe known as Smokemaster, which used a doubled up pipe cleaner in the bit to absorb tobacco juice. With the decline in business during WWII and the following 5 years it closed its doors 1950.

Around 1967 Dr. Grabow acquired the name and system rights to the Smokemaster line, and was produced until the mid 1990's. Dr. Grabow made three series. The 100, 200, and 300.



  • Briarcraft apparently made Shur-Dri pipes, as evidenced by the following catalog page:

They also manufactured Tuffies pipes, as seen by the following store display board for use in the Waller Specialty Co. store, in Minot, ND (closed in 1948).