From Pipes, Artisans and Trademarks, by José Manuel Lopes
Mission Briar was a brand created during WW II, which disappeared soon afterwards. In 1941, due to the difficulty of importing brair, Kaufman Brothers & Bondy, through Kaywoodie , and the Reiss-Premier Co., started making pipes out of Manzanita burls, known as "mission briar".
The Pacific Briarwood Company, a Kaufman Brothers & Bondy subsidiary, owned plantations of the bush in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. As the quality of the wood was not as good as briar, the project was abandoned soon after the war.